You are here

Making Payments

The Clerk's Office accepts the following types of payment

  • Personal and business checks, money orders, cashier's checks;  Checks should be payable to Clerk, US District Court
  • Credit cards (not accepted for payment of criminal bail)
  • Bank Account (ACH) - online payments only
  • Fedwire Wire Transfer -  please contact Clerk's Office financial department for more information

When making a payment, please indicate the reason for your payment and pertinent information, such as case number, name of defendant/plaintiff, etc., to ensure your payment will be properly credited.

A fee of $53 will be charged for all checks returned insufficient fund and credit card chargebacks.

By Phone

Credit card payments are accepted over the phone by the Clerk's Office during regular business hours 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.  Please call (414) 297-3210


Payments can be mailed to the Clerk's Office in Milwaukee or Green Bay.   If you would like a receipt returned to you, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.


The Clerk's Office accepts the following online payments:

  • Criminal Debt (Special Assessment, Fines, Restitution):  Online criminal debt payments are processed through Pay.Gov.  Please click here to make a payment.
  • Attorney Case Openings (Filing Fees):  Attorneys who file new cases electronically through CM/ECF will pay the associated filing fee through Pay.Gov.  
  • Attorney Admission Fees:  See instructions.

External Drop Box

Checks & money orders only.

  • Milwaukee Courthouse - located at 617 North Jackson Street - available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Green Bay Courthouse - located outside of the Clerk's Office at 125 S. Jefferson Street, Ste. 102 - available weekdays from 8:00am to 5:00pm

Fedwire Wire Transfer

In certain cases, the Clerk's Office will accept wire transfer payments through Treasury's Fedwire System.  Please contact the Financial Department for more information.