The current term of office of United States Magistrate Judge Nancy Joseph in the Eastern District of Wisconsin is due to expire on November 14, 2018. The United States District Court is required by law to establish a panel of citizens to consider the reappointment of the magistrate judge to a new eight-year term.
The duties of the magistrate judge position include the following:
(1) conduct most of the preliminary proceedings in criminal cases;
(2) trial and disposition of misdemeanor cases;
(3) conduct various pretrial matters and evidentiary proceedings on delegation from a district judge;
(4) conduct mediation of civil cases assigned to the district judges;
(5) trial and disposition of civil cases upon consent of the litigants;
(6) review and issuance of search and arrest warrants and similar process presented by U.S. Attorney’s office and other federal law enforcement agencies.
Comments from members of the bar and public are invited as to whether the incumbent magistrate judge should be recommended by the panel for reappointment by the court and should be directed to:
Stephen Dries Clerk of Court
United States District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
517 East Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Comments must be received no later than April 2, 2018